For the first time since the inception of Devolution, the Meru Governor will not hold any leadership position in the Council of Governors.
Apart from the much coveted Chairperson seat, there are eigheen technical committees in the council, with their respective Chairpersons tasked with steering the activities in their jurisdiction.
The pioneer Meru Governor Peter Munya led the Council as the Chairperson for two terms, while Kiraitu Murungi has served as the Chair of the Water, Forestry and Mining Committee. Tharaka Nithi Governor Muthomi Njuki has held similar positions in both the Resources Mobilization and Health Committees.
However, Governor Kawira Mwangaza missed out on any of these leadership positions in the Council, with her Tharaka Nithi counterpart Muthomi Njuki being elected the Chairperson, Health Committee.
Kirinyaga Governor Anne Waiguru was elected the Chairperson, while Embu Governor Cecily Mbarire will be the new Chairperson in the Resource Mobilization and Partnerships Committee.
Below is the full list of Chairpersons in the various committees in the Council of Governors (CoG)
1. Health Committee – H.E Hon. Muthomi Njuki (Tharaka Nithi)
2. Agriculture Livestock and Cooperatives Committee – H.E Rt. Hon. Kenneth Lusaka, EGH (Bungoma)
3. Water, Forestry and Natural Resource Management Committee – H.E Andrew Mwadime
4. Finance, Planning and Economic Affairs Committee – H.E FCPA. Fernandes Barasa (Kakamega)
5. Resource Mobilization and Partnerships Committee – H.E Cecily Mbarire, MGH (Embu)
6. Legal, Constitutional Affairs, and Intergovernmental Relations Committee – H.E Mutula Kilonzo Jr, CBS (Makueni)
7. Education Committee – H.E Dr. Erick Mutai (Kericho)
8. Human Resources, Labour and Social Welfare Committee – H.E Sakaja Arthur Johnson, CBS (Nairobi)
9. Energy, Roads, Transport and Infrastructure Committee – H.E Dr. Paul Kimani Wamatangi (Kiambu)
10. Trade, Industry, Manufacturing and Enterprise Development Committee – H.E Wavinya Ndeti (Machakos)
11. Land, Housing and Urban Development Committee – H.E Prof. Anyang’ Nyongó, EGH (Kisumu)
12. Environment and Climate Change Committee – H.E Dr. Wilber Ottichilo, CBS
13. Gender, Youth, Culture, Sports and Social Services Committee – H.E Simon Kachapin, CBS
14. Tourism and Wildlife Committee – H.E Patrick Ole Ntutu
15. Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASAL) and Disaster Management Committee – H.E Nathif A. Jama
16. Security and Foreign Affairs – H.E Maj. (Rtd) Dr. Dhadho Gaddae Godhana
17. Blue Economy Committee – H.E Issa Abdalla Timamy
18. Information, Communication and Technology, and Knowledge Management Committee – H.E Wisley Rotich (Elgeyo-Marakwet)
Meru Daily News is your one-stop trusted source for the latest News updates from Meru County, Tharaka Nithi and the larger Mt. Kenya region. Follow our Social Media Pages for real-time News Bytes.